Journalling for self-expression day 5 part 2
For each of the top 5 things that you identified [in the last task] https://brokenglassshimmers.wordpress.com/2015/02/14/journalling-for-self-expression-day-4/ , list 10 things that you can do to gain control of the situation. Pick the top 3 things from each list:
Part 2: Frustration over not being able to look after myself properly (due to physical and mental illness).
I will now list 10 things I can do to gain control of my frustration and I will then underline the 3 I believe to be the most helpful.
1. Accept the things that I can’t change and change the things that I can.
The things I can’t change are:
-The fact that I have disabilities
-The fact that due to my pain and mobility problems, I can’t travel far and need help with things that other people take for granted.
The things I can change are:
-How informed those around me are about my condition.
-The people I choose to spend my time with.
2. Fight back for better pain management.
When I next see the rheumatologist, explain how important that I feel it is that I have a medication that is fighting the condition and that I feel that instead he has given up on me. Poor pain management only serves to increase my levels of anger, depression and negativity.
3. Ignore ignorant attitudes surrounding my physical and mental health, especially those which come from my family.
They’ve had plenty of time to ask me/research my conditions and they still show no interest whatsoever. No matter how painful it is, it’s time to move away from them.
4. Start being kinder to myself and accept that I am deserving of help.
This has been a complete battle for me since I was a teenager and it would be nice if things started to change.
5. Start a friend shortlist where I remove from my life or lessen the involvement of, friends who aren’t really interested. I’m tired of these one-way friendships.
This is one of the things that I will find the hardest to do, as once they are in my life, I hate letting go of people. The way I’m now looking at it is, the more unnecessary friendships I let go of, the more I make room for constructive new friendships, painful though it may be to say goodbye. Friends I am keeping in my life, at least short-term, I need to make more of an effort with, at least over the phone, by letter or email, to see if that effort is reciprocated.
6. Look at equipment that I could get that will make my life easier and more productive.
This could include a new, specialist built laptop which includes suitable hardware and software as well as aids and adaptations around the home and out and about.
7. Research the help and support that I can get now that I am staying in Swansea .
(I’m pleased to announce that I am being care managed!)
8. Start trying out different self-help strategies to improve my physical and mental health.
This could mean light physiotherapy exercises, heat and cold packs, a tens machine, online support websites and other strategies and techniques to better manage my physical and mental health.
9. Join forums and Twitter chats for people with mental illness and physical disabilities. If none are available then create some.
10.Be honest with people about what my struggle is actually like and what will help.
I could finally write that book that I’ve been talking about for years (I’ll keep you posted!).
If you noticed that some points were underlined as you went along, those are the key points that I will be trying to work on from now on.
Tags: Acceptance, aids and adaptations, anxiety, Aripiprazole, arthritis, AS, Bipolar, Bipolar disorder, blog, blogging, Blogging community, book, books, BPD, care managed, change, depression, disability, equipment, family, fear, forums, friends, Friendship, help, honest, ignorance, Journalling, kinder, medication, Mental health, Mobility, pain, Physical health, physiotherapy, rheumatologist, Self-help, struggle, support, Twitter chats
About brokenglassshimmersI’m 30 and have BPD and arthritis. This website will detail how I deal with my health issues, reading and writing. I am in the process of writing books and I will keep you posted about how that is going. I also want to run an online book club and writer’s circle. Please feel free to comment on the site and to let me know if there are any improvements or changes you would like to see. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
- The October update – my struggle with anxiety and mood swings October 25, 2015
- Safety in self-knowledge – part 3 October 25, 2015
- Safety in self-knowledge – part 2 October 24, 2015
- Safety in self-knowledge part 1 October 22, 2015
- Life after a crisis July 8, 2015
Top Posts & Pages
This month on Brokenglassshimmers
- attitudes of others/stigma
- Bipolar disorder
- Blogging community
- care manager
- Community Mental Health Team
- Crisis Team
- day centre
- Depression/suicidal thoughts
- distorted thinking
- Home Treatment Team
- in control
- life as a service user
- Mental health
- Mental illness
- Negative thoughts
- Occupational therapist
- people pleaser
- physical disability
- postcode lottery
- psych ward
- psychiatric ward
- self harm
- Social media
- social worker
- socially isolated
- suicidal thoughts
- the mental health community